Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thing 2: What Is Library 2.0?

Well, after trying the links listed, and coming up blank as often as not, I'm still not real sure what Library 2.0 is. I'll assume it is essentially an up-to-date version of the post card, conference call and newspaper advertisement (among other things). I think the impact of technology is fairly obvious and will, no doubt, be expanding in the near, and far, future. While libraries may be wise to try to ride this wave, assuming they can get the resources and have the time, I keep thinking the road we have been going along is littered with discarded great ideas.

A quick question(s) is:
Do we know what brings someone to a blog? What keeps them coming back?

Another thought:
Does anyone remember the sinking feeling in the stomach when the slide projector emerged from the closet?

2 comments:

aurora said...

Welcome to 23 Things on a Stick! I am glad you are willing to go on this journey and see what is out there, even if you do decided it is all litter.

You might have noticed the link to the other participants in the SELS region on the front page. You can also visit them through here.

Jonya said...

Ah, you are asking how to establish a readership? So what is your intended audience and like any publication, how do you make yourself noticable out of all the other people writing about the same thing?

I like RSS Feeds cause they are sort of like the Friends tools in Live Journal. If you've not ever set up a LJ and realized how that community works (it works well!!) ask around until you find someone who almost demands you check out his/her community, drags you by the arm to a computer to show you. I would be one of those people. Online communities can be extremely close-knit, but like face-2-face communities you have to give before you get. So RSS Feeds allow me to know who in my circle is updating. From there I visit and comment and read others' comments.

Another type of blog people go to is informational blogs that are so well written and useful, people tell each other. But I'm more about the former!